Welcome to the GREEN Fine Art of Sandhi Schimmel Gold.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
"My pictures are made of thousands of incongruent pieces - images and text. Assembled like a mosaic; the tiles create an entirely new image - a portrait, a landscape, a fantasy - directly from my imagination, utilizing materials that would otherwise go to waste."
- Sandhi Schimmel Gold
- Hand work: Absolutely no technology, programs or dies are used to create my art. It is hand-painted, hand-cut, hand-applied, hand-embellished, and hand-finished. Tens of thousands of decisions are made.
- Unique: The technique was developed over a number of years; combining my love for color, portraiture, contemporary art and mosaic. I call it Acrylic Mosaic Fusion.
- Green: I create without waste. I upcycle junk mail, calendars, post cards, photos, old greeting cards, tags, etc... it's all paper waste I collect. I use only water-based, acid-free, non-toxic materials to create my work. It is completely eco-friendly. I reuse and repurpose canvas, frames, etc. whenever possible.
- Inspiration: I was in Venice several years ago. I saw a portrait made of tiny fragments of colorful glass. It was too heavy to carry by train, so I decided to make one "just like it" when I got home. After trial & error, I decided to use ephemera instead of glass or tile.
- It would be too simple to say I am inspired by Byzantine mosaics, Louis Comfort Tiffany or Antonio Gaudi... it's both the assemblage and the color in the materials that moves me. I am process driven as well as image-centric....Figurative work has always inspired me – I tend to focus on the female. My vision is to create beautiful yet thought-provoking images of beauty; in vibrant color.
- Deeper Meanings: Where can beauty be found in a culture of conspicuous consumption? I believe we are an aggregate of tiny bits: who we are and where we've been - or who we want or pretend to be. Each piece expresses a mood – a calculated effect - high drama, serenity, sexuality or humor.